Thursday, September 10, 2015

L'arrivo in Italia

          I'm sitting on the balcony of my host mom's apartment which overlooks an overgrown garden.  A cool breeze is blowing, whispering – if I listen closely – the first mention of autumn and bringing with it a much coveted respite from the unrelenting Italian sun.  In the garden of the neighboring apartment behind a small wall, a lady is doing laundry while her dogs lie beneath a table, their naps disturbed only when their ears twitch at the buzz of a fly.  Somewhere near, I hear the voices of three locals discussing whatever it is that gives their voices such an enthusiastic trill, but I am privy to neither who they are nor what they are saying.  I can presume from the clinking of utensils that their conversation is second in importance to the "pranzo" they are enjoying during the afternoon "pausa."  My classmates and I have quickly learned to embrace the time between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m. as a time to enjoy each other's company which in Italian translates into everything except restaurants and cafes or bars closing for a three hour break each afternoon.  I could get used to this… But before I enjoy a stroll or rather a hike through the hills of the city, I will let you all know how things have been since I arrived. 
           
            If time ever blurs the details of my travels to Perugia, I hope that I can recall – for memory's sake – the exhaustion that accompanied the first couple of days.  After a seven-and-a-half hour flight arriving in Rome at 9:30 a.m., I finally found others studying abroad.  Leaving the airport by bus an hour later was finally able to offer some rest.  The two-and-a-half hour bus ride proved to be a battle between my desire to sleep and my determination to see every part of the landscape that whizzed by the window, making my grand total of sleep in the first two days one hour.  We spent the night in Perugia's beautiful Hotel Gio (pronounced "Joe") where we were treated to our first four-course Italian dinner.  That evening, many of the other students went in pursuit of grocery stores where they could find cheap wine, but all I desperately wanted was water, and so the first euros I spent were on bottled water, although wine would have been surprisingly cheaper.  Having visited Italy before, the wine snob in me knew that the better wine would be worth the wait…

            The next morning, we traveled by taxis and shuttles to the center of Perugia, higher on the hill, where I met my host mom.  I will dedicate an entire other blog post to my adventures with Luciana, but for now I will summarize by saying she is absolutely wonderful.  With the help of her English-speaking friend, we were able to make a basic introduction.

            In terms of class, the first week was spent in orientations, information sessions, and intensive Italian classes.  I was reminded of my very first days as a middle-school student in Senor Sosa's Spanish class where only Spanish was spoken and we were forced to sink or swim. Thankfully, technology provides a bit of a safety net in that we can quickly muster a very rough translation if necessary when no other way of communicating is possible.  Our other classes began this past Monday, and I can already tell it will be an interesting semester.  With Intensive Elementary Italian every morning and countless opportunities to practice throughout the day and evening, I hope to have enough instruction to be able to carry a conversation by the end of my semester.  Besides learning the Italian language, I am also taking a class about the history and culture of food in Italy and a class on the politics of the European Union.  Instead of boring you with class material, I will instead share that the professor of the former is from England while the professor of my European Union class is from Italy.  Both have accents as thick as their enthusiasm for their areas of expertise.  I've had only two classes so far with both of them, but I am sure that I will be writing more on this topic soon.

            I see now that the lady has finished hanging her laundry and hear no longer the clink of dishes nor the excited voices of the elusive neighbors as the afternoon pausa nears its end.  This reminds me that even in Italy, rest must be balanced with work and that I have one more class before my weekend begins.  Before I meet my research advisor for my class, I will take a walk through town.  Mustering the desire to climb the hills of Perugia is easy on a beautiful day such as today.  A presto, miei amici!


Blessings,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment